What is a Habitat ReStore?
– Celebrating over 15 years in business on Maui –
A Habitat ReStore is a nonprofit home improvement store and donation center selling new and gently used building materials and household items such as furniture, home decor, tableware, and more! Items here are sold at a fraction of the retail price and all proceeds go back into the community and are used to build homes, community, and hope.
The four main purposes of the ReStore is as follows:
- Environmental — being good stewards of valuable resources by diverting items from the landfill.
- Economic — reducing landfill disposal costs for builders and creating a self-sustaining avenue to support the building of affordable housing.
- Social — providing inexpensive materials for home revitalization and aiding those of low income to improve their housing situation.
- Partnering — serving as a financial partner in the construction of habitat homes by providing usable materials for the construction of its homes, and to provide sustainable income to expand its program
Maui’s ReStore had a container sale in May of 2004 to see the feasibility of opening an outlet for resalable construction/remodeling materials. Due to its success, Habitat leased the former T. K. Supermarket in January 2005 and held the ReStore’s grand opening in May of that year. Starting at 2,000 square feet, the ReStore quickly ran out of space. In the summer of 2006, the ReStore not only extended the store hours but expanded to 4,500 square feet. In 2010 the ReStore moved into a larger location and in 2019 we have purchased our own building located at 1162 Lower Main Street. The store is now larger with more parking!
Private individuals, businesses and contractors are encouraged to donate their left over residential building materials and overstocked, discontinued merchandise. Making a donation to the ReStore not only benefits Habitat for Humanity Maui but also diverts usable materials from the landfill.
To make a tax deductible donation, call 808-242-1140