What happens with my donation?
- Does it go into a home built by Habitat? Material donations are not used on Habitat built homes. Instead, our ReStore sells them at a low-cost to the public and generates valuable revenue stream that enables Habitat for Humanity Maui to build more decent, affordable housing, for hard-working low-income families. Your donation not only helps support the construction of Habitat homes, it also helps reduce the costs of home improvement for other homeowners in the community.
- Does the ReStore repair donated items and materials? We currently do not have the resources to repair or touch-up items. For this reason we can only accept lightly used donations that are in good, working condition.
- Can the ReStore pick up donations that are inside my home? No, our insurance policy prevents our staff and volunteers from entering residences for the purpose of picking up material donations. Donation pick-ups are curbside only and must be left outside, or in a garage, in an area easily accessible for pickup. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- How do I count my donation as a tax deduction if I have scheduled a pickup? Our staff will provide you with the necessary paperwork when they come to pick up your donation. If you are not present for your pickup, please let us know in advance an appropriate place to put the receipt at the pickup location. Legally, Habitat cannot appraise your donation(s) so all donors must fill out an estimated value for their donation(s) on the receipt. Please keep in mind that you are required by law to fill out IRS Form 8283 for any donation you value at $500.00 or more. Any donation with a total value of $5,000.00 or more must also be professionally appraised.
- Is there a cost to have my donation picked up? Yes, there is a non-refundable $10.00 donation per residential pickup. Costs will help us cover transpiration costs and the more we save on costs, the more we can do for low-income families in our community. You are most welcome to drop-off your donation (by appointment) at our ReStore location during business hours.
- How will my pickup donation be collected? Your pick-up donation will be collected at the time of scheduling. You can pay by phone or online.