A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ.
We undertake our work to demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus, acting in all ways in accord with the belief that God’s love and grace abound for all, and that we must be “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. We believe that, through faith, the minuscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that, in faith, respectful relationships can grow among all people.
Focus on shelter.
We have chosen, as our means of manifesting God’s love, to create opportunities for all people to live in decent, durable shelter. We put faith into action by helping to build, renovate or preserve homes, and by partnering with others to accelerate and broaden access to affordable housing as a foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty.
Advocate for affordable housing.
In response to the prophet Micah’s call to do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly with God, we promote decent, affordable housing for all, and we support the global community’s commitment to housing as a basic human right. We will advocate for just and fair housing policy to eliminate the constraints that contribute to poverty housing. And, in all of our work, we will seek to put shelter on hearts and minds in such powerful ways that poverty housing becomes socially, politically and religiously unacceptable.
Promote dignity and hope.
We believe that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. We believe that every person has something to contribute and something to gain from creating communities in which all people have decent, affordable places to live. We believe that dignity and hope are best achieved through equitable, accountable partnerships.
Support sustainable and transformational development.
We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic and spiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when it demonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.
Habitat for Humanity Maui is part of a global, nonprofit housing organization operated on Christian principles that seeks to put God’s love into action by building homes, communities and hope. Habitat for Humanity Maui is dedicated to eliminating substandard housing locally and worldwide through constructing, rehabilitating and preserving homes; by advocating for fair and just housing policies; and by providing training and access to resources to help families improve their shelter conditions. Habitat for Humanity was founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a simple, durable place to live in dignity and safety, and that decent shelter in decent communities should be a matter of conscience and action for all.
Our Christian legacy calls on us to set aside religious differences and work together toward a common goal. These values guide our work:
- Diversity and Inclusiveness – We believe that everyone – regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or socioeconomic status – deserves a simple, decent place to live, and has something to contribute in building homes and hope for the good of all.
- Homeownership – We believe in the power of homeownership to affirm dignity, encourage hope and transform lives by breaking the cycle of poverty and homelessness.
- Families as Partners – We believe that dignity is promoted not simply by living in an adequate house, but by fully contributing to the process of building and buying that home and helping others acquire adequate shelter.
- Volunteerism – We believe in the volunteer spirit and are committed to offering rewarding volunteer experiences.
- Stewardship – We are committed to excellence, to efficient use of our financial, environmental and human and material resources and we are accountable to our funders, volunteers, and family partners.
Habitat for Humanity Maui is a Christian ministry dedicated to our vision. It is Habitat for Humanity Maui’s policy that we will not proselytize nor will Habitat work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with Habitat. This means that Habitat for Humanity Maui will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must (i) adhere to or convert to a particular faith or (ii) listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
We offer our families a hand up not a hand out.