Our vision is that Maui’s community resides in decent homes and homelessness on Maui is eliminated.
Habitat for Humanity Maui’s mission is to build decent housing and to renovate substandard housing on Maui in partnership with community volunteers and potential homeowners so that homelessness and substandard housing on Maui is eliminated.
Our Christian legacy calls on us to set aside religious differences and work together toward a common goal. These values guide our work:
- Diversity and Inclusiveness – We believe that everyone – regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or socioeconomic status – deserves a simple, decent place to live, and has something to contribute in building homes and hope for the good of all.
- Homeownership – We believe in the power of homeownership to affirm dignity, encourage hope and transform lives by breaking the cycle of poverty and homelessness.
- Families as Partners – We believe that dignity is promoted not simply by living in an adequate house, but by fully contributing to the process of building and buying that home and helping others acquire adequate shelter.
- Volunteerism – We believe in the volunteer spirit and are committed to offering rewarding volunteer experiences.
- Stewardship – We are committed to excellence, to efficient use of our financial, environmental and human and material resources and we are accountable to our funders, volunteers, and family partners.
Habitat for Humanity Maui is a Christian ministry dedicated to our vision. It is Habitat for Humanity Maui’s policy that we will not proselytize nor will Habitat work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with Habitat. This means that Habitat for Humanity Maui will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must (i) adhere to or convert to a particular faith or (ii) listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
We offer our families a hand up not a hand out.